Liam Lawson admits he was not expecting to be dropped by Red Bull after just two rounds and will be aiming to prove he belongs in Formula 1 – even if he does not know where his long-term future lies.
The New Zealander has been demoted to Racing Bulls following a disastrous spell at Red Bull, with Yuki Tsunoda swapping into his seat with the senior team from this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix onwards.
The brutal nature of Lawson’s removal from the team has made all the headlines ahead of the third round of the season in Suzuka, where he will once again drive for Racing Bulls having finished last year with the junior squad.
“It is maybe something I wasn’t expecting so early but something that obviously is not my decision,” he said.
“For me it’s about making the most of this opportunity now and still being in Formula 1, I still have that.
“I think I was more surprised. It’s very early in the season and I would say I was hoping to go to a track that I’d raced before and have a clean weekend to have a chance like that.
“But the decision obviously was made when I was told. So, although it was tough to hear, I had one or two days to think about it.”

Liam Lawson, Red Bull Racing
Photo by: Red Bull Content Pool
Lawson revealed the details of how he was informed of the decision to replace him with Tsunoda ahead of a race he was looking forward to following a tough start to the year.
“I had no idea in China. It was something that was decided, I guess, the Monday or Tuesday afterwards. I found out after China, basically. It was, I think, for all of us probably more unexpected, but it was after the weekend,” he said.
“It was more of a done deal [when he was told]. I left China starting preparations for Japan and I had a phone call saying that this is what was going to happen.
“I was looking forward from the start, to be honest, to go to a track that I’ve been to before just to have a proper preparation.
“I think the ingredients are there [at Racing Bulls] and the main thing is coming here at a track that I’ve driven as well. I think, hopefully, I slot right in and feel comfortable, but we’ll find out tomorrow.”
Lawson is not the first driver to find himself moved from Red Bull to an iteration of their second team, but others had more than two races to show they were worthy of a seat at the top table.
None of the previous drivers to be demoted have ever found a way back to a Red Bull drive and Lawson, twice asked if that now had to be his intention, was keen to remain focused on the here and now.

Liam Lawson, Racing Bulls
Photo by: Clive Rose / Getty Images
“I think we know how Formula 1 is and how quickly things change. I mean, if I look back a year ago, I had no seat. I was here a year ago, watching and wishing I was racing,” he added.
“Then I had the opportunity to race at the end of last year and the opportunity then to go to Red Bull Racing. So, a lot has happened in 12 months. So, for me, the main thing is being in a car, and I have the opportunity to prove I belong here and that’s what I’ll try and do.
“In terms of where my future is. I don’t know and, for me, the only way I can control that is by driving fast. I guess that [a Red Bull return] is part of the conversation. I guess in a way that’s great, but obviously I was already there starting the season and was focused on proving myself in the team at that point.
“So, look, whatever happens down the line is more or less out of my control. What I can control is the driving stuff to prove that. So, yeah, where the future goes, honestly, at this point, I’m not really thinking about it too much.”
Photos from Japanese GP – Thursday
In this article
Mark Mann-Bryans
Formula 1
Liam Lawson
Red Bull Racing
Racing Bulls
Be the first to know and subscribe for real-time news email updates on these topics
Subscribe to news alerts